Trent Dilfer vs. Mark Schlereth

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RavensShallBurn, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Well, in Big Ben's defense, his line was absolutely horrendous. Also, they may have had less turnovers and higher ratings, but are they better QBs? No... that's the point.

That was the 2007 season. This is the 2009 season. There's a big difference when he's coming off one of his worst performance of his career. Having a banged up shoulder doesn't help either.

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

They've already hit you with the numbers. He played better than a lot of quarterbacks in the league last year. That by itself puts him way ahead of Rosencopter and Jackson. And you point out the interceptions, and you ignore the touchdowns. I think touchdowns help a team more than interceptions hurt them.

Well, I have no idea how I took this quote wrong. :suspect: There's no sense of exaggeration in that statement. None at all. It just sounds like you have an issue.

The point I'm making is Favre will never be as good as he once was. But even at the age of 40, he can outplay Jackson and Rosencopter. You also have to realize that, even with Favre, the Vikings are't going to throw the ball around like New York did. Which means less opportunities to throw interceptions.

I was arguing your statement about his legacy. That has nothing to do with how he will do next year. So it doesn't make sense to argue with my assertion that he was one of the best of his era. No matter what it is you decide to remember, the majority of us are going to remember him as being a great QB.

3. RavensShallBurn

I'm sorry if I haven't made my point CLEAR for you. Yes, for the first twelve weeks of the season he played better than most QBs in the league. How 'bout those last five weeks? Not so great, huh? Find me a (legit) QB who put up worse numbers in any five game stretch last season and I'll go jump out of my window >>> that's exaggerated btw! :yes: ... Good luck with that one because I'm pretty sure he threw 2 TDs and 8 INTs in the last 5 weeks... and even if you do find someone worse, I doubt you can find someone who threw up two lob interceptions in one game and threw an interception directly at a defensive lineman. Unless, of course, you want to throw VY's week 1 performance in there... which, sadly, is more impressive than Favre's performance against the Seahawks and Dolphins. Was Favre a good QB? Yes. Is he going to be effective enough to put a team in the Super Bowl? No... unless you put him on a horrendous team. Then he would look like a "diamond surrouded by trash."

I can see how you took that serious... reading back on it, it seemed a little foolish on my part, but I said I was exaggerating, yet you still can't understand that. I guess you've never said something that you didn't fully mean. My mistake.

If you throw 22 interceptions, you damn well better throw at least 35 touchdowns to make up for it. True, the Vikings won't be throwing the ball much, so why do they need a gunslinger who wants to throw the ball at least 30 times per game?

I said I would remember him for the most interceptions... I say that because I feel he is way too overrated. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are so much better it's not even funny. I hate Tom Brady, but I give him props. He throws so many touchdowns, yet much fewer interceptions. I know we're not comparing QBs here, but Brett Favre is far too overrated, and for that I will remember him for his NFL record (of most interceptions). That doesn't mean I don't think of him as one of the best QBs of his era. You missed my point.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

^So are you saying that somewhere between weeks 12 and 13 last season Favre lost the ability to play qb in the NFL? That really doesn't make sense. What makes more sense is that either he was dealing with his injured shoulder during that time, or just that his 40 year old body can no longer manage a full 16 game season. By no means does it mean he's done. You yourself just admitted his first 12 games of the season were quite good....yet you use his ending stretch of games to then say he is no longer fit for the NFL....I don't get it.

Also, you went from saying he could no longer play in the NFL period and now in your last post say he can't take a team to the super bowl.

5. RavensShallBurn

Is everyone in La-La Land right now?

Seriously... Yea, I admitted he was good in the first 11 (not 12) games of the season. Realistically, he only had a few impressive games (Cardinals, Patriots, Titans). In all other games he was just average or very mediocre.

Yes, he is done. That injury is his demise. I don't think people realize that when a 39 year old, grey-bearded man gets injured like that, they're probably done. Why has he never had any other injuries of this nature in the past? I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that it's because he wasn't DONE! He's done now. I just think people are so used to Brett Favre being in the league that they can't accept it.

Yea, I tend to do that when people fail to understand my main point (and force me to discuss other issues) which is: Brett Favre is overrated and done... it's that simple. I understand it's the norm to be in love with this guy, but he has gone absolutely mad the past two years... When asked "Is it safe to say that there is no way you will ever play a game in the NFL again?" Brett Favre answered: "Yea, I can safely say that."

He, himself, said he was done, and he hasn't had reconstructive surgery on his shoulder. Done, done, done. Put a fork in him!

6. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

yeah he is a lil upgrade....he will only throw 2 int's per game opposed to favres 3

7. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

You've given yourself away....you're sick and tired of Favre because you feel he's overrated (I agree) and wish he'd go away. Thats cool...but I don't think your arguments support him being done.

First you said he's done because he got the injury. Then you said he didn't get injured earlier in his career because he wasn't done? That just doesn't make sense. Players get hurt all the time every year, doesn't mean they are done. Favre isn't the QB he once was, and before he does anything he'd have to get that arm fixed which I would imagine is no small task at his age. Doesn't mean he can't still play if it gets fixed properly. Can he handle an entire season? I'd say it depends on the system. Minny has a very good O-line so he likely wouldn't get hit as much as last year. It's really a matter of can his arm hold up.

He would still be better than several other starting QB's in the league and many of the backups.

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I agree Favre isn't going to carry a team to a Super Bowl, but I think on a really good team he could be good enough to make it to a Super Bowl with them.

I can respect anybody thats willing to admit their own mistakes. High five here.

The way I was looking at it, a touchdown always is seven points, but an interception doesn't necessarily mean the other team gets seven points. So if you break even, you helped your team more than you hurt it.

Its hard to put it into context now, but he really stood out back in the late 90s. He was really hyped up because he took a lot of chances, but he made a lot plays. Its hard for me to place him in an era though. Looking back, I feel like he belonged more to the Elway-Favre era than he did to the Manning-Brady era. He kinda bridges the gap between the two. My point was our opinion of how he fits in a certain era has nothing to do with how he will play in 2010.

9. RavensShallBurn

Again, you've missed the point. I'm obviously not saying that "whenever someone gets injured, they're done!" That's just ridiculous. How you took that out of context is beyond me. According to that assumption, CJ is done, Brady is done, Palmer is done, etc.

My point was: Brett Favre has gone through 18 seasons in the NFL without any major injuries... when it came to the end of last season (when he was 39!) he was injured... worse than ever before. This is very common with players... injuries at older ages while playing extrememly physical sports are a sign of being absolutely worn out and done.

/argument... it's not going anywhere, and we're all just repeating ourselves now.

P.S. wplatham, thanks for the high-five. I didn't mean to start a conversion/argument over this... I just went a little too far to express how much I'm sick of Favre and how much I wish to never hear from him again.

10. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Well it looks like you might get your wish. Favre told Minny he is going to stay retired. So he's retired.....for today ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar