Two Words: Screen Pass

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Abe Froman, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Sausage King of Chicago

Let me preface this post by saying that with a talent like Chris Johnson - a back who can turn a 5 yard loss into a 50 yard gan - why is he not touching the ball at least 50% of all offensive plays?

With that being said, does anyone have an answer to why we don't run more screens to CJ? The Steelers were blitzing all night and we knew it, especially in the second half. Why are we not running screens and dump-offs to keep the defense honest?

Call me dumb, but our play call in the second half was atrocious and extremely predictable. We have the fastest, most agile RB in the NFL ... USE HIM!

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Maybe they're afraid of jealous jackasses like Ed Reed trying to bend him over backward to take him out of the game and having to watch the refs sit back with their thumbs up their 0-ring not doing anything about it.
    (I know I'm not the only one who thought Reed and his cronie CB should have been ejected from the game for that)

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I wondered about this as well but I think the Steelers had a LB shadowing CJ most of the game. On those blitzes, CJ was blocking. What I wanted to see more of was getting the ball to CJ in the flat or spliting him out wide for a quick pass down the LOS (like they tried with Britt).

When Scaife went down, it didn't look like Collins has many checkdown options.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

we need to take a book out of the chargers' gameplan and send him out on the route regardless. tomlinson goes out on a route regardless of whether the linebackers come or not. if they do come and he goes out on a route no one is there to cover him.

5. KC_Titan

KC_Titan Starter

This is one of the fastest defenses in the NFL, you don't just ignore blitz coverage and send him out. We tried that once and KC had a defender in his face in less than 2 seconds. They deserve to get the credit for nullifying CJ.

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

They did nullify him to an extent, but unfortunately our answer for that which should have worked, didn't work, particularly in the form of:
    -Scaife getting hurt
    -Gage dropping an easy pass*
    -KC under throwing a pass meant for Britt, right into the hand of Polamalu
    -every aspect of special teams

At least the refs didn't make one bad call after another (there were a few but not many), and at least we didn't rack up 90 yards in penalties like last time.

*Gage more than made up for it but you still can't be dropping easy passes like that.

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Remember that play where Woodley hit Kerry's arm as he was throwing it? That was supposed to be a short pass to CJ. They had to keep him in to block or Kerry would have been killed.

8. Abe Froman

Yeah and CJ was wide open. Maybe this is something the Titans should work more on in practice. Getting CJ in space should be a priority and maybe this is a wakeup call for the coaches.

9. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I don't think you get it. CJ was wide open because Woodley was all over Kerry. It doesn't really matter how open CJ gets if Kerry is on his back. However, I think the Steelers are one of the few teams that can take the screen out of play because of their upfield rush. Expect the Texans to get a large dose of CJ.

10. Abe Froman

Yes I know, and you're right, but the idea of a screen is to dump it off right as the defense gets to you. It's trickery. Woodley just made a good play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar