Vick admits guilt

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ONUV, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

sounds arbitrary doesn't it ?

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

So, basically, you agree that Vick will get a harsh punishment. But, you still dont think Goodell is fair because Vick will only get the punishment because he is losing the league money? Did Goodell tell you this personally or what? Which, I seriously doubt the league is losing enough money off of Vick to weight in Goodell's decision one way or the other.

And Tank Johnson isnt even currently on a roster. Just because he was a part of a good defense hardly means he was a player raking in money for the league. He is a very replaceable DT.

3. Bababooey

Bababooey Guest

I said i though he'll get next-to-nothing or a huge ban, but in retrospect anything other than a huge ban would be dumb. I'm saying Pac wasn't part of a stellar Defensive unit [technically he was part of the worst] and though he returned well, Devin Hester was the talk of that category. Pacman wasn't the leader of a team and never broke a record at a position that usually doesn't do what he does. [Vick.] It doesn't matter if Tank is replacable, he was still part of the oft-feared Bears Defensive. one of the most marketable D units in the league. Pacman was, sadly despite his stellar play, a slight nobody in the league. Devin Hester outshined him in KR/PR and D units like the Bears' outshined the Titans' D. Pac was a replacable commodity within the league.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Nice touch. :))

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Have you ever seen Tank Johnson used in a marketing campaign? Have you ever seen hordes of people with Tank Johnson products or jerseys? I dont recall any Tank Johnson endorsements or anything of that nature. Tank Johnson was probably the 7th or 8th most recognizable name on that defense. He was not personally bringing in the league much money.

6. Bababooey

Bababooey Guest

of course not. If Matt Light got it for killing a hooker and Barry Sims did too, who would get it easier? Matt Light is part of a potent Patriots offense and Sims is part of a fairly harmless Offensive unit in Oakland. Obviously a Patriot lineman is more marketable than a Raider lineman, talented or not. Why? He's part of something great. Tank was too.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Careful Babbabooey that sounds alot like you are suggesting that the policy is arbitrary and that Pac received different treatment because he is an unpopular player from a small market team....

As an aside, let's see what ways we can think of that losing Vick has cost the NFL a lot of money.

1. Start with the obvious- merchandise sales- jerseys, caps etc
    2. Royalties from corporate endorsements - like Nike
    3. Franchise ticket sales
    4. Television shares down with Vick out
    5. Future corporate large scale endorsement/promotion like the Nike AirVick shoe (of which warehouses are full of unsold shoes, corporate losses from marketing, production, distribution etc)
    6..7...8..etc

Come on you business guys- help out with others.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Tank wasnt being marketed though. How are you saying he was more marketable, when he wasnt even being significantly marketed? And no, I completely disagree. Pac was clearly the future star player among Henry, Tank, and Pac. So, I dont agree with you at all. Tank is nothing more than an average DT. Pac had superstar potential, and Henry could easily end up being a very good player. But Tank Johnson was not a player that any marketing firm cared about using at all.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The ticket sales and television shares are not going to go down without Vick. Maybe endorsement royalties and things like that, but Michael Vick not being in the NFL is not going to hurt the NFL a bit.

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Hey Riverman, since you seem to think everything Goodell does is arbitrary, why don't you sit down and write a list of exact punishments for every possible incident that could come under the NFL personal conduct policy and send it to Goodell....obviously the man needs help in sorting this all out, and you seem to have a handle on it. If you start tomorrow, you could be finished by 2010 or so.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar