Vince should be the starter

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Sep 17, 2006.

?
  1. Vince should start

39 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. let's give him a few more weeks

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. start BILLY !

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. what? are you kidding ? Kerry rocks !

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agreed 100%

2. Kimble

Kimble Guest

Here you go:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/01/19/ramblings/stat-analysis/2262/

See also Larry Stone's comments quoted earlier in the thread. Regardless of whether Young could do better than Collins, I don't think it's worth the long-term risk.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

take away one drop, one throw away and two spikes and it looks a lot better.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Also, any QB who starts for an expansion team is usually doomed.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Thats true but I can make that claim about Collins in week one as easily as you can make it about Vince last week. And also keep in mind that SD had gone to a much more conservative defense and removed several starters when Vince was getting a lot of his work. I just dont know what some of the people calling for Vince have seen that make them think he is our best QB option at this point. The fact of the matter is we suck dont matter which of the 3 is out there and there is no indication that Vince is any better than Collins at this point.

6. ShoTym

ShoTym Rookie of the Year

First of all about confidence. You don't have to worry about that with Vince. But, Akili and Leaf didn't have the heads to play the game. There is nothing that suggests that Vince would suck due to a lack of confidence. He's not that type of guy. And just because he sucks his rookie year doesn't mean he'll end up terrible. Aikman sucked his rookie year. Alex Smith is looking much better this year. While Roth didn't suck, he wasn't anywhere near a world beater. He was a caretaker. Vince will be fine.

As far as this goes, you'll have to come up with something better. Because unless you know how to read defenses, I'm quite sure that you wouldn't know whether he knows how or not. You'll just regurgitate what you've heard on ESPN.

7. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I don't want to put VY in until the O line shows it has a pulse. No need getting him beat down physically much less mentally. BV screwed up, it was his job to lose and he did. Have we all forgotten how bad he stunk up the place the first two preseason games? KC was brought in to be a bridge to the VY era and based just on the results of the game can anyone say that BV would have produced much more at either contest? Maybe, maybe not I actually like the way fish and co. are bringing VY along, the package system they are using is the correct way. It lets him have some success with what are I would guess a series of scripted plays much like SF used to do under Walsh to begin a game. The only criticism I have for the O, other than the guard play, is C. Brown still starting and Bennett's guaranteed drops when it matters. Put in LW in at least in the VY packages, they are the future of this franchise for the next 7 years or so, let's start seeing some of it.

8. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

Every person (and quarterback) is different. With Vince, you cannot concern yourself with confidence. He has it in abundance. The question is about bad habits. Personally, I think Vince showed last year with Texas that he can adapt to what he's given. With great blocking and teams focused on his running he converted to a pass-first QB. Yet, he was able to win the biggest game with his legs. The kid is good enough to know which gear he needs to to hit and nobody will outwork him in the film room. I think Fisher could easily start him and his only legit concern is injuries.

9. ShoTym

ShoTym Rookie of the Year

The idea that VY would do better behind this terrible line is flawed. Even QB's that are mobile need good O lines. Let's not forget VY had the best O line in college football last year. I watched a few series Sunday and with a DE breaking the line every snap, VY doesn't even have time to find a running lane.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

because Vince is going to struggle early on regardless of whether or not it's this year or next
    Vince is not going to learn the speed of the NFL rush
    or the look of an opponent's defensive scheme
    from the sideline

learning by watching Kerry friggin Collins develop the worst QB rating in the histroy of the league doesn't sound like a very good way to develop Vince

if nothing else, it might have ben better for Vince to watch Billy take the reigns for the first time and fight through some growing pains - which will more realisticaly resemble Vince's path

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar