Volek Leaves for Chargers with Mixed Feelings

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fltitan

fltitan Guest

Voleks performance in preseason was terrible and if he got called out he deserved it. Many here talk about the coaches taking the team back then when one calls a player out in a meeting and the coach is at fault. If this happened Chow didn't do it in the paper he kept it in house thats the way it should have been done. It's interesting that Volek had no problems with the system until he performed so poorly. How do we know how good the system works when the OL can't run block, QBs are constatly pressured and WR's drop passes in critical situations.. VY looks pretty good in the system and quite frankly outperformed Volek and Collins. Volek is not a starting QB in this league and never will be and if he didn't want to share reps with VY or turn the starting job over to him midseason if VY is ready then good riddance.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

actually I think you missed the point. Volek knew and he said it by not mentioning Chow. Reading betwen the lines is always fun ;)

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Now you're just making crap up. Based on what, I ask you? One good pass?

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I wonder if it really all boiled down to the meeting BIlly and Jeff had where Billy had aledgedly commented on in a maner that did not sit well with Fish

if so, then that's pretty pety
    especially since Billy was probably right

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

of course Young looked pretty good esp when you are playing against 2nd or 3rd string guys. Even in the Chargers game he was playing against a 2 team defense that had slacked off.
    When Young played against the Chargers 1st team D he was lost. Go back and look. He did no better than Collins :moon2:

6. split_six

split_six Guest

Vince got one first half series, so it's really not fair to compare his production with Collins. I respectfully submit that your comment about moving the ball against "2nd and 3rd string guys" isn't entirely true. I remember the TD drive was against mostly starters.

This is the play by play of the last two drives led by VY from nfl.com:

Tennessee Titans at 07:59
    1-10-TEN31 (7:59) V.Young pass short right to B.Jones to TEN 41 for 10 yards (Q.Jammer). Jammer is a starter
    1-10-TEN41 (7:24) V.Young pass short left to R.Williams ran ob at SD 42 for 17 yards.
    1-10-SD42 (6:53) (Shotgun) L.White left end to SD 36 for 6 yards (D.Florence). Florence is a starter
    2-4-SD36 (6:22) L.White right tackle to SD 31 for 5 yards (J.Cesaire). Cesaire started for an injured Olshansky
    1-10-SD31 (5:45) L.White left tackle to SD 31 for no gain (D.Robinson, C.Polk). (subs)
    2-10-SD31 (5:05) V.Young pass incomplete deep right to B.Jones.
    3-10-SD31 (4:59) V.Young pass incomplete deep left to R.Williams (B.Jue). nickel
    4-10-SD31 (4:53) V.Young scrambles up the middle to SD 19 for 12 yards (D.Edwards). starter
    1-10-SD19 (4:15) C.Brown left end to SD 19 for no gain (T.Kiel, C.Polk). starter, sub
    PENALTY on TEN-B.Troupe, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SD 19 - No Play.
    1-20-SD29 (4:08) (Shotgun) V.Young up the middle to SD 22 for 7 yards (C.Polk, S.Cooper). Starter, sub
    2-13-SD22 (3:23) V.Young pass incomplete short right to D.Givens.
    PENALTY on SD-S.Phillips, Defensive Offside, 4 yards, enforced at SD 22 - No Play.
    2-9-SD18 (3:19) V.Young pass incomplete short right to B.Wade.
    3-9-SD18 (3:13) (Shotgun) V.Young pass deep left to D.Bennett for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    R.Bironas extra point is GOOD, Center-K.Amato, Holder-C.Hentrich.
    TEN 7 SD 33, Plays: 11 Yards: 69 Possession: 4:50.

Tennessee Titans at 01:47
    1-10-TEN28 (1:47) V.Young to TEN 28 for no gain. FUMBLES, and recovers at TEN 28. V.Young pass incomplete to B.Wade.
    2-10-TEN28 (1:39) (Shotgun) V.Young pass deep middle to B.Scaife to SD 44 for 28 yards (S.Cooper, C.Hart). sub, sub
    1-10-SD44 (1:39) (Shotgun) V.Young pass incomplete to B.Scaife (M.Wilhelm). sub
    2-10-SD44 (1:06) (Shotgun) V.Young pass incomplete short left to B.Wade (M.Harris). sub
    3-10-SD44 (1:02) (Shotgun) V.Young right end ran ob at SD 41 for 3 yards (C.Polk). sub
    4-7-SD41 :)55) (Shotgun) V.Young pass short right to B.Jones to SD 33 for 8 yards (Q.Jammer). starter
    1-10-SD33 :)46) (Shotgun) V.Young pass short right to L.White to SD 38 for -5 yards (C.Polk). sub
    PENALTY on SD-M.Harris, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at SD 33 - No Play.
    1-5-SD28 :)41) (Shotgun) V.Young pass incomplete short right to B.Jones.
    2-5-SD28 :)37) (Shotgun) V.Young pass short middle to B.Scaife to SD 16 for 12 yards (T.Kiel). starter
    1-10-SD16 :)37) V.Young spiked the ball to stop the clock.
    2-10-SD16 :)17) (Shotgun) V.Young pass short middle to B.Scaife to SD 3 for 13 yards (Q.Jammer, M.Harris). starter, sub

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

check that out
    3 first downs in 4 plays

8. fltitan

fltitan Guest

VY was able to complete some passes some were open some were throws that had to be in the right place. Collins didn't get passes to wide open receivers and had a QB rating of 1.3. The system is not the problem with Collins , Collins is the problem. I don't love Chow's system either at this point but how can you tell when the offense can't stay on the field and WR's drop passes when they are thrown. Some people here since he was benched all of a sudden make it sound like Volek was an all pro, he is a back up and won't get a lot of playing time in SD unless Rivers gets hurt. VY HAS OUT PERFORMED COLLINS NO CRAP JUST FACT.

9. Sledge

Sledge Guest

I don't know, besides the "he sucks" reason, I can,t find anything. Sure, we could have held off on the KC signing and let him start the season, but do you really think we'd be different than 0-2?

10. Raydawg

Raydawg Titans Rock !!!!

In today's San Diego Union-Tribune, Billy talks about his discussions with the Charger OC.

Billy says the offensive system is "PHENOMENAL."

I don't ever recall him saying that about Chow's system.

Hmmmmm......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar