What was the biggest surprise of the 1st round?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SawdustMan, Apr 25, 2013.

1. sikwiddit

sikwiddit Starter

No R.B. taken in the first round , I know it's a weak class.
    I thought a team might reach for at least one.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE Tweet me @JCBRAVE

Nah, they're a dime a dozen, RB's have been less and less important every year. Its just so common for a rookie nobody to come in and be able to rack up yards.
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer Straight Ridah

That was a big shock. A good story though. Went from his death bed on the practice field to a first round pick.
  4. Soxcat

Soxcat Starter

THe only real surprise for on the list above for me was Frederick going that early. Nice player but why bother getting him that early?

Any team trading up for Jordan actually makes sense although I'm sure everyone thought Miami was going to take the LT. But Jordan could be the real deal in a draft with few real difference makers. Hayden at 12 isn't really a surprise. He was flying up the draft boards as one of the best CBs and I even think he might have been on our short list.

Cooper at 7 does surprise me some but the Cardinals were rumoured to be looking at going with Fluker to them at that pick. While Warmack, Cooper and Fluker are good solid players they all went a few picks earlier than they would normally go because the top of the draft wasn't very populated with the usual QB, WRs, RB and the pass rushers went in a hurry.
  5. dtm586

dtm586 Starter

Yah thats why I said rd 1 - but ya minnesota and oakland dont have many picks left I believe
  6. Ensconatus

Ensconatus Namaste

They got big players tho. I'd trade our draft for what they got.
  7. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Starter

Dallas by passes the safeties and takes a freaking 3rd round center, terrible. Also did not like the picks of the giants or the bears. I why does cincy take another TE? They need another wr opposite of aj green. Worst of all to me is jeff fisher. He trades to the top 10 to take a 5 foot 8 165lb slot wr, that plays and comes from a gimmick spread offense. I thought that trade up to get him was really bad. Fisher is a average coach and a terrible gm/player evaluator
  8. dtm586

dtm586 Starter

How did Dallas not take Cyprien, meh major need staring them in the face
  9. KKSE_Kuba

KKSE_Kuba Camp Fodder

I'd have to say the E.J. Manuel pick by the Bills. With everyone talking Smith, Barkley, Nassib above him, surprised he went before the others.

Maybe the most surprising, though, is that there wasn't a run on QBs. Interesting to see GMs hold back.

Being a Wisconsin native and alum, the Frederick pick did surprise me (I thought mid to late 2nd, 3rd latest), and I know the Cowboys had other more critical needs to address, but he will be a solid starter in the league that can play either center or slide over to guard. We had him on our sports podcast, and the guy is intelligent and knows his position.
  10. Luke Smartwater

Luke Smartwater Jedi Master

I don't even call that one surprising, but unbelievably stupid.