When will the Titans wear AFL throwbacks?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>As part of a 50th anniversary celebration of the AFL, the original eight teams will play two regular season games this year wearing legacy uniforms.</p> <p>The Titans legacy uniform will be those of the 1960 Houston Oilers: Blue and white jersey with red accents and a blue helmet with derrick logo.</p> <p>For what games will they wear those historic uniforms?</p> <p>We won't find out for sure until we know schedule details in April, but we can speculate.</p> <p>The "Legacy Games" in question will be head-to-head matchups, one at home and one on the road.</p> <p>The home options for Tenessee are Buffalo and San Diego, and the Titans will play Buffalo in the Hall of Fame Game to kick off the preseason on Aug. 9. The two teams will wear the throwbacks for that game.</p> <p>So the regular season home retro game should be the rematch of the 1960 Houston Oilers-Los Angeles Chargers AFL Championship Game, a 24-16 Oilers win.</p> <p>The road options are New England and the New York Jets, but in the release billing the celebration, the league bills opening Monday night games as part of the anniversary, and the first of those is Buffalo at New England.</p> <p>The Patriots won't wear their uniforms from their 1963 divisional championship season -- with a white helmet featuring the original Patriot logo -- twice at Gillette Stadium.</p> <p>That means we should see the 2009 Titans against the Titans of New York from the 1961 season in their gold and navy uniforms with navy helmets.</p>

More...

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

For those wondering, this is the uniform the Titans will be wearing.
    [​IMG]

3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Nice,i like those uniforms,old skool

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I like the helmets. But hate the red on baby blue.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I wonder if they could have somehow arranged it that the afl uniforms would only come out only if the opponent was afl and wearing their throwback uniform set. I mean, I would rather see the Oiler uniforms against the NY Titan uniforms, seems kinda cheesy for only one of the afl teams to wear it when they play another afl team head to head.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

When we came out on Thanksgiving, not wearing our throwbacks, I was like "Seriously, WTF!"

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Next year The Browns play The Ravens. Both in Browns duds..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Never because the old uniforms are oilers unis not titans.

There is no way we are wearing uniforms with an oil derrick on the helmet. Maybe they can come up with the titans uni that has similar coloring but you will never see the oilers uniforms again.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Uh. It's been confirmed, Rolltide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar