Which prospects are worthy of the 5th pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by PRAY IV M3RCY, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Oh I know. I'm not saying we've ignored the position, or not invested capital there.

I was just saying we've pretty much always sucked at wr.

When derrick mason is the high water mark of the last two decades, and an older Nate Washington even makes the short list, that's bad.

Yeah, is we've picked horrible at wr. Hell, include TE and RB in that (not including Henry in that.)

Look at this train wreck List.

Troupe
    Cook
    Hunter
    Wright
    DGB
    Sankey
    That guy that was really fast pre cj. Blaine bishop calls him "runs to darkness."
    Lenwhale

I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

But the fact remains that our wr corps is one of the worst in football.

One injury away from harry douglas starting. Another away from Supernaw being our #1 TE.

Now I've been beating the drum for Howard at 5 and Ross at 18.

I mainly Do so because I think Howard is simply hand in glove made for this offense. And Ross gives a dimension that we have really never had, that compliments every thing we do on offense (can't cheat the run or double the TEs with 4,2 speed on the edge.)

It will pain me to see OJ Howard go somewhere else. I will always wonder what if.

But honestly, if I'm sitting in the chair on draft day, and I have to pick at five, I'm sitting there with "Howard" on one card, and "Lattimore" on the other, agonizing as the clock runs down.

But at the end, I likely hand in the lattimore card. And hate myself for not throwing money at bouye, thus freeing me to take who I want.

2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I don't really get why people act like Wright was such a train wreck. He had 94 catches his 2nd year. I went to a practice Wiz's first year. He catches a slant and looks like the best guy on the field, then Wiz blows him up because he didn't like how he held his arms lining up.

We wasted him.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Lol yea we wasted him. Especially last year. He wasn't getting that second contract from us tho - FO/Coaches didn't trust him enough to show up I guess.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

It pains me how terribly we wasted Wright. He was no#1 but he was an excellent Slot WR, that we never found a way to use properly. And now we are talking about drafting another guy to put in the slot....

When Dowell Loggains is more successful using your offensive weapons, you know you suck as a human being, Fock Whiz!

5. DaCost

DaCost Starter

I really like the idea of Howard since Walker can easily be use as a WR.

As for 18 I would use it for a CB.

• Troll Troll x 1
  6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Wright was a me guy who did not fit what JRob wanted. I wish we could have traded him before the deadline for a ham sandwich...at least get something for him. Taking him in the 1st rnd was ridiculous. The kid was quick but had no long speed. People say we didn't use him correctly, well my response is that you don't build your offense around an avg slot WR.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I wont dispute that, but he was the best WR we had, and we did not use him enough.

8. NotoriousZEUS

NotoriousZEUS Rookie

The Henry pick was good talent wise, I just don' think we could've afforded to pass up on a corner until RD 5 or whenever it was when we had just gotten Murray.

I think of picking Howard at 18 the same way. It's solid value there, it's not for a need, but you could say there is a "question mark" there where the guy could still be utilized and take over after a couple years. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I wouldn't love it.

I see Howard and Ross as products of their combine and athleticism more than anything, so there is just no way I'd feel comfortable drafting either at 5. Both of them are missing significant tools to their game I don't think are being realized.

That doesn't mean they aren't or can't become good players, but they are a lot more limited than a 40 time will tell you.

To me, if I'm taking you at 5 as a TE, I better really need one and there better be 100% assurance you are Gronk 2.0, and for a guy that struggles to break coverage, especially in the redzone and that just isn't the case.

Going the Howard/Ross route may pan out talent wise, but making our offense look cool won't win games when we're in shoot outs with mediocre teams like last year, and shut panned by teams with both a pass d and a passing game, which is most elite NFL teams.

9. Tricky

Tricky Starter

How many of those kinds of teams are there? Do Denver, Kansas City, Green Bay, or Detroit fall in that category? Wonder how we would do against them... :brow:

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Denver had a pass game?

Curious how we do against teams that don't have one or the other like Indy, Houston, Jax, or Minnesota.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar