Why are the Titans so bad against the run?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ImATitan, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I agree with most points

Clearly the new regime wants to "get bigger" and having Casey in the middle is a good start. Marks doesn't represent that "big" at all though; he needs to go. I love what Klug has done, but clearly he's a pass rusher and would be undersized at DT; I think he too needs to move to DE.

Morgan has been a bust thus far and Jones very disappointing at DE; maybe move Jones back to DT where he played much better? But than again, Jones at DT doesn't fit the "get big" plan we're looking at.

Smith is a "big" DT yet he still gets pushed around; mind boggling.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Unless Klug is great at DE then swapping him with Jones won't do anything. Both are good DT and I doubt we keep Jones just for depth.

3. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

So start Jones at DT next to Casey and put Klug at DE? Still need to find a better 2nd starting DE than Ball or Morgan.

4. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

you do realize he said unless klug is great at de then switching them would be pointless right?:suspect:

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Ah, my bad. I hate to use the same logic/reasoning we used to move Jones to DE (which has been a fail) but Klug is an undersized DT who is getting after the QB (team lead with 6 sacks). Put him at DE and it should be a success.

For the record, I see Klug a better fit for DE than Jones. He reminds me a lot of KVB, a relentless motor to get after the QB than Jones has.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Morgan, Witherspoon, the lack of a real strong safety. Ruud was a run liability.

Ayers has not been a stout against the run as we hoped. Smith was a total fail as a big inside run stopper. Jones is only average against the run when they hoped he would be a beast.

We have 3 rookies starting in our front 7.

We didn't bother to sign Babin because he was seen as a run liability but he wasn't any worse than Morgan has been and it cost our pass rush significantly. Babin has 18 sacks this year!

Obviously a major fail for Grey and the organization as a whole. This was a primary objective of this defense.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

No penetration.

Everyone gets pushed around, then once every 100 plays Klug or Jones will get free. Morgan has been a bust (thus far). Jones has had a good year. Klug has been a surprising pick, but seems to be just a situational pass rusher. I agree that he could be switched to strong side DE. Casey has also been solid, again though he's a rookie & will make mistakes.

We need some penetration! Look up Devon Still, that's who we need in the 2012 Draft.

8. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Because we've haven't tackled since 08.

And then there's Mike Griffin, who gets stiff armed/trucked/burned/takes bad angles 12 times per game. And he looked like he was going to be the next Ed Reed his first 2 seasons.

9. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Our run D has been bad since the departure of Haynesworth.

It really sucks to see some of the runs the no name RBs get on us in critical moments.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Griffin is a free safety and you expect a 200 lb FS to get knocked around some. What we don't have is a stout hard hitting SS to fill holes and be almost like another linebacker the way Blaine Bishop was.

Hope for a few years was that type of guy but he isn't any longer and Babineaux is more of a FS/NB type guy.

We need a real SS with good instincts who likes to hit people.

Witherspoon is almost nonexistent in our run defense at the line of scrimmage. Seriously, how many times in the last 6-7 games has he stopped a back at or near the line of scrimmage? He doesn't pursue well down the line either. I don't think he is 100% healthy. You need linebackers who fly to the football and the will backer is often not blocked if the play is going to the right of center.

Spoon won't even get 70 tackles this year total.

I think the D-line except for Morgan is playing better than some think. Marks is not terrible against the run and Jones is capable and runs sideline to sideline.

I think the safeties and linebackers are at least as big a problem as the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar