Why are the Titans so bad against the run?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ImATitan, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Most great D's are built with a strong middle. Look at the ratbirds, strong D tackles, LB's, and safety. Look at the Titans D now, Casey is, I think, going to be good, McCarthy is also young but will be good, our problem now as much as D line is our safety play, griffin and hope both suck the big one. Watch the run that the colt RB had to win the game again, should have been tackled for a loss of 4 yards, instead he is allowed to reverse field, run right by griffin, who is playing touch and feel with the colt QB, and run 80 yards or so. Griffin has to go.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

That was Dan Orlovsky too. :sad2:

3. RTH

RTH Meh...

They want to get bigger - which is the right move, IMO.

However, difficult to truly do that in one year. Especially one year that had no real off-season.

I'm more curious what the defense will look like next season - hopefully with an opportunity to actually "look" at what they have and work with it.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Morgan and cook must be reading these threads.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I don't think this team is as bad vs the run as some make it out to be. Think about it this way; if you lose Ruud and Griffin and replace them with sure tacklers, we give up way fewer big runs. It's just that simple.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yeah!

Titans need a FS that can shed QB blocks!

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Any FS that understands their job would be an upgrade from what we have now back there. FS is the LAST DEFENDER! Learn that Michael Devin Griffin from Austin, might help us win a game.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

still be zero said about why Griffin was in the backfield on that play.

If it was Gray I think it would have been mentioned.

Im thinking Griffin went feral

9. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

We need 2 DTs 340-350 lbs that may not get much interior push,but they arent getting pushed anywhere. Look at some of the bests defenses in the league past and present. You need at least 1 guy to eat up blockers.Then build talent around them and rotate smaller guys in different situations.Let the backers run free to the ball.

10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

This is all dependent on scheme. From how we set it up this season, smith was supposed to be the NT taking on the center and garnering a double, and pushing the pocket backward so the qb cant step forward. While allowing the DT to his left to go one on one with a guard so when the qb does step forward he should have enough penetration to get ahold of the qb.

The run defense after this is all based on gap integrity and the linebackers of course.

Smith sucked tho and this didn't pan out like the above theory. I think we have been using Casey as the nt lately, not sure though I have not paid much attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar