Why delay the inevitabe ?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by cutter10, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Those are just a few of the better teams he beat. Idk why fans dont see he wasnt the issue. No defense, no running game, and little help offensivly. Get the guy help and hes fine.

BTW Im all for Locker taking over but can see he also failed to beat 3 good teams

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

JCB, I often agree with you, but you are way off base here.

First off, it is pretty unfair to say "Locker failed to beat 3 good teams" seeing as how he was put in to each of those games well into the third quarter. The colts game in particular was already gone before he got in.

The Saints game he darn near won, in his first significant action. With the same "lack of help" you lament poor hass having to muddle through with.

I just fail to see how anybody failed to see that Locker was better last year, albeit in very limited action. Of course, that is the coaching staff's fault for not starting him LAST year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

Ok you win, put Locker in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

4. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

What better teams did he beat? The Ravens, that's it. The Ravens are the only team with a winning record that he beat the ENTIRE year last season. Unless you consider the Texans 2nd/3rd string a moral victory. How can you honestly and objectively say that he did not contribute to the losses that we had last year? Hasselbeck was not "fine" last year and another year older and an extremely difficult schedule is not going have him "fine" this year.

Spin it any way you want to, but he can not compete with the playoff caliber teams in this league anymore. Maybe in 2005 he could, but that is not the case anymore. Sure, he may look adequate against the average/below average teams in this league. However, that is not a position that I aspire for this team to be in. I don't think average is enough.

And to resort to saying "Locker didn't beat any of those teams (Saints, Falcons, Colts) last year either" is an absurd argument. Do you know why he didn't win any of those games last year? Because he wasn't given the opportunity that Hasselbeck was given to win any of those games last year. He was put in the game while the team was behind, was asked to make up for Hasselbeck's poor play, and was given a limited time to do it in. Who would be capable of doing that? And to use that as an argument in favor of Hasselbeck is laughable. No one can tell me that this team would come out of the first half of this schedule with anywhere close to a winning record with Hasselbeck starting, so why are some of us arguing for him. He's not taking this team anywhere close to the playoffs this year, that's undeniable...so why are we having this argument? You are arguing for MEDIOCRITY!!!

If anyone is going to get this team out of the mind numbing seasons of mediocrity, it's Locker. It's Locker because he was drafted to do so, he was drafted to be a franchise QB, and gasp.....he was drafted to turn this team in to a perennial super bowl contender, because that's what franchise QB's do. Now that is the ideal scenario. Will we reach that with Locker? I don't know, I hope so. But the thing I do know for sure is that if anyone is going to get us to that scenario, it's Locker, not Hasselbeck. Is there any other team in the league going the aging, declining veteran route anymore? Even if it's just for half a season? I wonder why...

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I wish I could get into an debate without having to type. It would be so much easier that way :) Good debate though.

6. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

The defense and running game are irrelevant IMO. Give any average QB a good running game and a good defense and they should make the playoffs, Hass is no exception. Thats how the Titans made the playoffs the last couple times with VY and KFC. Do you think they are good QBs just because they were on a team that made the POs? Did they lead this team to the playoffs? No, they were just did enough to not screw it up. If we had a top D and CJ2k back then we will make the POs with Jake or Hass. It really won't matter to much about the QB.

However, most likely we won't have completely fixed the running game, and we won't have a top notch D. If that is the case, then Hass has proven that he can't put the team on his shoulders and lead this team to victory week in and week out. That is what the QB is supposed to do. He should be the leader. He shouldn't have to rely on the RB or the D. Of course those things help, but they shouldn't NEED them. Hass NEEDS those things to be successful because he is an average QB. QBs like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, P. Manning ... when is the last time they needed a top notch D and top notch RB to win games? They don't need those things because they aren't your average QB.

Why do people insist on making excuses for Hass? He is as average as they come, how come people can't see that? Hass will not get any better. The TEAM might get better around Hass, but Hass himself will not get any better than he already is. There is no reason to start Hass this year outside of a complete and total break down by Locker.

Now on a separate topic ... Not winning when your offense is only scoing 20 pts per game is not soley on the Defense. Guess what, the #11 defense last year gave up 21 pts per game. So basically, if the O is only scoring 20 pts per game, then you need to have a top 10 defense to win games. Now I understand that Hass wasn't the only problem, but he really wasn't much of a solution either.

So you guys are basically saying that if they Titans had a top 10 D, and a top running game, then Hass would be good ...

7. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Of those first games I think we are a better team then the Vikings and the Chargers and a worse team then the Pats and Lions. I guarantee we will split with the Texans like we always seem to and I do not believe that the Steelers are that much better then us.

If our running game is at least middle of the pack and our young defense can take a step forward I see no reason why we can win 3-4 of those games no matter who is under center; if they don't we won't win no matter what happens.

8. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

Well this is a debatable subject, but based on how Hasselbeck played last year. I do not see us winning at San Diego. San Diego will always put points on the board, and every defense that goes against Hasselbeck will pin their ears back, put pressure on him, and defend against the dink and dunk routes. It's not that hard for opposing defenses to figure him out. 37 yr. old QB's are often very limited in what they can do on the field.

And based on the 41-7 drubbing at the hands of the Texans at home last year (they looked worlds better than us) and the fact that Jake Delhomme and their 2nd/3rd team handed us the game at Houston last year, I do not see us splitting with the Texans if Hasselbeck is starting. I don't see him being able to keep up (in moving the offense and scoring points) with the playoff caliber / good teams.

9. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

There's no helping it I give up.

Your right dude Matt Hasselbeck is the worst QB of all time. In fact if he takes a single snap under center this year his arm will most likely fall off and our team will 0-16. Hopefully we will start Locker because if he is the starting QB then we'll go 17-0 and be the first seed in the NFC (Yep the NFC because the NFL will be tired of Locker passing for 6000 yards a game vs. the AFC and try to boost ratings with a conference change) but we won't because there is a Munchek led conspiracy that will not let Locker win the QB job and we all know that's the only way Hasselbeck could ever beat out Jake Locker.

10. JCBRAVE

Ok so here are the facts from last year.

Hasselbeck was just good enough not to lose his job going into 2012, but not good enough to lift us out of a hole, i.e. no running game.

Locker looked good in limited action, but not good enough to lift us out of a hole, i.e. no running game.

Chris Johnson got paid, and Eugene Amano is a better tackler than Michelle Griffin the Vagician.

I think I got it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar