Why not use transition tag?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

I think we should definitely use the transition tag on Verner. There is no sense in letting one of our best defenders go without a fight.

2. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

Transition Tag for CB is still over $10Mil. Verner is good, but not that good.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I agree that Verner is not a 10mil a yr CB. But just because you tag him does not mean that that is what you are going to pay him. It just allows you to be able to match the best offer he gets from other teams. I really don't think his agent would let him sign the transition tag for 10 mil when he knows that he can get a deal 35-45mil with 15-18mil guaranteed during FA. So you tag him and let him hit the market and see what sort of deal his agent can get done with another team. If the deal is worth 8mil a year and you feel comfortable with that then you match the offer. If you don't like the deal that he signs then you let him walk.

You do take a risk that he signs the tag, but I think it would have been worth it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Speaking of what Verner's agent wants, he'd be smart to advise Verner sign the 1-yr deal for $11M, then signing another big deal the following year. Agents work off 3% commission.

3% of $11M is $330,000 for doing nothing. Then another 3% in 2015 for whatever he gets, which IMO would be in the $7-8M/yr

5. TitansWillWin2

Verner doesn't even want that much money. I think he wants to stay here. We would be stupid to let him go.

“When it comes to the money, it is not like I need to be paid super high,” Verner said. “But I am not going to be a fool and take anything that is super small.”

6. JCBRAVE

We do need to lock Verner up long term and here's why.

What incentive do guys have to bust their asses for you when you dont reward great play with great pay? By letting Verner walk away we're almost saying to our players performance doesn't matter. Verner for years now has been one of the leagues best kept secrets, I'd hate to see another team benefit from one of our home grown guys.

Verner is the model citizen, top 10 CB, top 5 if he was a little faster, he's really not a one year wonder like some say, 2012 was a good year for him. The track record is there to prove his value.

Webster needs to do the right thing and re-sign Verner before March 11th.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Honestly I think that Verner deserves to be paid at least what McCourty is making. BUT it won't happen.

8. TitansWillWin2

If we have to cut CJ in order to make up room for Verner, I'm all for it.

• High Five High Five x 5
  9. JCBRAVE

At first this was my thinking also, however, McCourty got paid in the summer of 2012. Since 2012 inflation has risen 3.1%. So if Verner accepted McCourty money, he's not making the same at the end of the day, he's making a tad less, which is justifiable since he's our No.2 CB

He might go for the same deal if we offer it. Pollard gave us a discount so he could work with Ray Horton, hopefully Verner does too.

10. TitansWillWin2

I'm impressed you're familiar with the time value of money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar