World Cup 2010, South Africa

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yossarian, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Soccer_League

Been trying, without success, to make Americans love it since 1968. Occasionally will have a small upswell of popularity, and then sainity resumes and Americans continue to ignore the EuroSport.

BTW I have attended professional soccer. Went too see Dallas Sidekicks, pretty sure that was the name, play a game. Highlite was the San Diego Chicken.

Just sayin'

That Americanized version of soccer was cheap and entertaining, so it apparently had to go - lol

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It's the fastest growing sport in the US. Has been for years... so you old guys just expect that to not convert to pro fans? Highly unlikely.

Seems about the only crowd that disses soccer are the pseudo tough guys that talk about how it's not a man's game or say it's too low scoring while they'll love watching a 7-14 american football game. (That's the equivalent to 3 goals) That or those that don't watch it only because the US isn't dominant in it.

The United States has more registered soccer players than any other nation in the world.

Like it or not- change is coming. Get used to it, or miss out. Wont bother me any.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

been hearing that since I was a kid.

I read Soccernomics and it said USA, Iraq and Turkey would be good soon.

I still say even if US dominates in the WC/Olympics ect that Americans will rank their indigenous pro sports over any international pro sport.

As a for instance only hard core racing fans watch F1 in America. Americans prefer NASCAR. Nobody outside of North America knows what NASCAR is unless they are hard core racing fans, but all racing fans outside USA know and follow F1.

4. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Disc Golf is the fastest growing sport in America, fwiw. Do you young wippersnappers expect the PDGA to surpass the NFL?

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

haha... that's because it's new. Disc Golf will die here within 5 years though.

Good point with Nascar/F1. Again, a sport we're good at (because no one else does it) vs a sport we suck at and the fanbase is a complete 180 from each other. Odd how that works. lol

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Penalty kicks. You are determining a winner by a random event that has no relevance to the rest of the game. It would be as stupid as replacing extra innings with batting practice.

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Don't bet on it. Disc Golf has been growing around 15% annually over the past decade. Mostly young people play it, it's cheap, and its international. Wouldn't be surprised if Disc Golf becomes an Olympic sport in the next 20 years.

8. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

officially becomes a joke today ... I believe that ref was high ... or mentally retarded

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That ref may as well just put on one of those Charlie Brown uniforms.

Attached Files:

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Can't believe what I'm hearing about the calls, but man do I wish I'd been able to skip work to watch that game. If that third goal hadn't been called back, today would have been a defining moment for U.S. soccer.

Hope we can get a win next wednesday, and get a little luck from one of the other two games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar