World Series of Poker

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by World Peace, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Poker is a game, not a sport. It's a hard game, especially at the high levels, but it isn't a sport. It may wear on you physically, but anything that you do for that length of time would. There's no physical aspect to the game, so it's not a sport. That's how I define it.

2. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

if you win a huge pot...raking in the chips is physical...so is stacking the chips...you could get tired...or even worse..tear a rotator cuff:grrhee:

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

What, are you kidding? Baseball, Golf and Bowling are all sports where drinking while playing is an accepted practice. There's stories about Mickey Mantel and many others downing brews between innings.

And let's not forget Mike Vanderjagt.

4. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

I'ts not a sport, but it is a competition. Just like any other program that ESPN airs.

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

While this may be true, has anyone taken a swig of their favorite beer or liquor while the cameras are rolling and it be perfectly acceptable?

6. World Peace

I beg to differ. If you mean by slamming someone to ground, or using psychical strength, then technically you are correct.

I play quite a bit of cards, I play at the horseshoe a few times a week. Poker is every bit physical & mental in the same way that playing linebacker is physical and mental.

While you may not be using brute force to "Take Down" your opponent, you can use your body language to co-erce your opponent into making a fatal mistake. Just like when a linebacker shows blitz and drops in zone and picks off a ball.

I'll give you a good example from last night.

I have Ad 3c (Ace of Diamonds, 3 of clubs) and my opponents cards are a mystery (Although I have a good idea of what he has)

The board is 5d 3d 9d 6d Kc - My Ace of Diamonds gives me the best possible flush.

On the river, when the K of clubs comes out, I bet out, and my opponent thinks and thinks and he's eyeballing me the entire time he thinks. I know that there is only 3 hands that beat my flush. (The 7d 8d, 2d 4d, 4d 7d - which is a straight flush) and its highly unlikely has any of these cards, because of his position and the way he played the hand.

I have put him on K Q, with either the K or Q of diamonds. Most likely the Kd

As he's thinking, I know that's the type of hand he has. Typically, when players have the best hand, they have their hand on their cards, ready to flip them over to show the bad news. I know that he knows this, so I put both hands on my face, and kind of turn my head, like I'm ashamed of the bet I put out and I'm making it look like I don't want him to call.

My plan worked, he raised me $100. I look down and check my cards, and I say, jeez, you musta got there... and I think and I think... I have about $300 behind. I look at him and say, if you got me, you got me.. I'm all in.

He instantly called and viola, he has the K of diamonds for the 2nd best flush.

The first words out of his mouth were, "I didn't believe you had it"

Poker is just as mental as football, maybe without the injuries. Although I did sit next to a guy who fell out of a chair and hurt his neck once. They had to take him out of the cardroom on a stretcher.

7. World Peace

As far as the WSOP goes this year, who else do you guys like? Do we have any other regular card players here in the forum?

8. World Peace

Phil Ivey has 350k right now.

9. World Peace

Elky has been going crazy this year.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I completely agree that poker is a game involving a lot of mental strategy. I'm a big fan, I host poker games about every other week.

However, it's not a sport. Body language may technically be something that you are doing with your body, but in my opinion, it doesn't qualify. You don't have to train to make your body be able to play poker. Mentally, yes, and you have to get used to the idea of changing your body language, but come on, I wouldn't call it physical activity.

I'll admit, there's a tricky line between what's a sport and what isn't. I'm really tempted to say that I don't think that any kind of race car driving is actually a sport, but there isn't a good argument to defend that idea, so I'm not going to try. Poker, however, seems to much more clearly fall on the other side of the line.

Stratego and chess aren't sports, but they take mental strategy as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar