You made me do it. Marcell Dareus... why?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Can someone, anyone, convince me why on earth this guy is hyped? Yet again we're seeing a prospect that spent most his time doing absolutely nothing get projected as a first round pick? Why?
    Marcell Dareus was overrated the day after the Texas/Alabama NC game and still is.

He made his name off 2 plays. What else?

1. The freak interception/TD run in the NC game vs Texas. This was nothing but luck. He looked down in his hands and saw a ball there then lumbered in to the endzone.

2. The hit that took out Colt McCoy. Keep in mind- no one thought it was a tough hit. Everyone wondered how McCoy was hurt from it.

That's it. That's all he's done. That's all he probably will ever do. Marcell Dareus is about as overrated as it gets. To throw his name in with guys like Fairley is insulting. He's not in the same league. No where near it.

Don't believe me? Still buying the hype? Watch for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQN35KzlRnA

The definition of mediocre. 0 tackles. 0 hurries. 0 sacks. He may as well have stayed at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b9owu3f2uE

It's not only that, either. Watch what he does often... jogs. Walking around. He looks out of shape and tired most the time.

He had 3 games where he had 1 tackle. 66 tackles over his career. Meh...

So can anyone tell me what it is he does that makes him a first round pick?

Let me guess: He's big? He posted a good time somewhere for a big guy? I refuse to believe NFL scouts are this dumb.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

He played most of the year on a high ankle sprain.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Oh.

That was always my excuse in sports too.

4. 24

24 Starter

So, you're doubting people like Sapp who say he's better than Fairley? Why, because you watched some YouTube clips of him? I'll admit, he's one of the few guys I haven't really watched film on, but remember, he plays the 5-technique. That's one of the least glamorous positions of all. Here are several things to look for though. First, the point of attack, does he get pushed around? Second, how well does he use his hands? Are they inside the shoulder pads (you don't want to see overextension)? Also, look for a variety of moves using the hands like the swim, rip, and punch. Finally, does he play with leverage? Can he sink his hips naturally (most of the time), or does he get too high in his get off?

5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Probably not. You seem to be pretty stubborn.

• High Five High Five x 5
  6. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Yet here you sit criticizing from the sidelines while he will be possibly a top 5 pick in the draft and play in the NFL.

So...like him or not...I would say he evidently has talent that a ton of people who make their living in the NFL believe in whether an armchair critic believes it or not.

7. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

the point of this thread was to learn a little of what dareus had to offer..... so far, it seems you haven't learned anything...
    so the question is.... what's the point of this thread...

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First, Dareus is not a pure pass rushing dt. He will his living bs the run but he is pretty good at rushing the passer. In your YouTube vid he's aging a lot of nt and is doubled a lot - even triple teamed occasionally. Even so he did get some pressure in mallet.

As for why he is/was important...how many times did you see them run the ball at him and pickup good yardage?

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hopefully he's off the board before we pick, we can't make that mistake if he's gone. I don't want Dareus either. He's big and ties up inside running lanes, allowing others to rack up tackles. That's really ALL he's done beside knock Colt McCoy out of a big game.

10. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

The guy is a solid player. I don't know if he's top five material, but he will be a starter in the league for many years. Oh, people knew who he was before the National Championship game. Maybe not the entire country, but SEC fans definitely knew he was a presence on the D line. The guy demanded double and triple teams for most of his collegiate career because he has the potential to disrupt every single play. I'd be excited if we drafted Dareus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar