Young: I'm supporting Collins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amishboy

Amishboy Camp Fodder

I think you explained that pretty well. That’s probably what it was.

2. Amishboy

Amishboy Camp Fodder

LOL

"i'm the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude"

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

"I'm like a little boy playing with his **** cuz he done got nervous."
    LMAO

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

c'mon Rolltide!

6. Nine

Nine Starter

I'm not black. I have no clue what it's like to grow up as part of an ethnic minority.

However, I do get the impression that many minorities develop a sense of pride about their ethnicity, perhaps because they learn from a very early age that their race is part of their identity.

And I'm not just talking about the black community; it's equally true of Hispanics, Italians, Greeks, Jews....you name it. It's human nature. When a group of people shares a common bond such as race, religion, or nationality, they tend to take pride in that bond, whatever it may be.

We're a perfect example. Our love for the Titans is what brings us together....and while most of us have never met face to face, we all feel the same sense of pride for what we see as "our" team. We aren't necessarily defined by our fanhood.... but it does contribute to our sense of identity in some small way. "Damn right I'm a Titans fan.....and damn proud of it."

Speaking strictly as an old white guy, I feel confident in saying that virtually every African American possesses a certain amount of pride in his or her ethnicity. And that's fine. Hell, it would be unnatural not to feel some sense of pride. Like I said....human nature.

Vince is a black man, and he takes pride in that fact. This pride has helped him to define who he is. It may not be politically correct for him to talk about it publicly, but I see absolutely no harm in the occasional offhanded comment. What bothers me isn't so much the fact that he said it....it's the fact that people get so up in arms over him saying it, as if it was somehow offensive.

The funny part is, this is only as issue because he calls himself a "strong black man". Had it been Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala talking about being a "strong Samoan man", or Yao Ming calling himself a "strong Chinese man", nobody would bat an eye.

I suppose it's simply a byproduct of the long history of racial tensions in the United States....but it's crazy that people have become so hypersensitive and politically correct that a black man can't even identify himself as such without somebody getting bent out of shape over it.

• High Five High Five x 8
  7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

It doesn't matter if I'm black or white, I'd still like people to get bent.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Michael Jackson has that same philosophy...including the bent part...

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

just curious but wasn't Collins asked not to long ago if Young was talking to him about the game, why he did this or that and Collins said No. Now things could have changed and I hope it did but I still wonder how much of this is BS

10. KingTitan

KingTitan aka CRONUS

GADZooKS, y'all! You who quibble over The Marquess of Nashville, Vince Young, not sounding like a Rhodes Scholar need to realize this was an interview in a locker room! Which means it's not a prepared speech, it happened after something else, it was not necessarily planned. If you have ever been in that situation you'd realize not all speakers are created equal! It's hard to deliver well thought out, rational answers in the best of situations, let alone a setting like this. Also, be have but some "bites" of what occured. Not the questions leading up to his answers. We probably don't have all of his answers.

And he was not talking race - he was identifying himself - nothing wrong with that. He's got pride. I've got pride. You've got pride. And we all express it in different ways!

He speaks most eloquently on the field, when he does what comes most natural to him! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar