** Off-Season Plan Thread **

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

So this is my official off season plan until we can see the combine. I based all of the contract extension on players that I felt were in similar situations. The two most controversial things here are cutting Chris Johnson and not drafting a QB but I believe that this season is going to be about giving Locker his last chance to sink or swim.

Cuts
    Chris Johnson (8 million)
    Kamerion Wimbley (6 million)
    David Stewert (6.4 million)
    Moise Fokou (1.4 million)

(Total cap after cuts: 21.71 million)

The bolded players are June 1st cuts which lets us push their cap hits back a season.

Re-signings/Extensions
    Ropati Pollard (2 years, 3.25 million) -- Fits in our new 3-4 defensive scheme.
    Mike Otto (1 year, 750k) -- Otto is cheap depth at OT who can play either side.
    Chris Spencer (1 year, 920k) -- Spencer is solid depth at both OC and OG.
    Bernard Pollard (2 years, 5 million) -- Pollard was a leader of our defense last season and I think that he will get along very well with Horton's aggressive mind set.
    Jackie Battle (1 year, 750k) -- Cheap deapth and a good ST player.
    Jurrell Casey (5 years, 53.13 million) -- Casey deserves every dollar of this extension. This is almost the same deal Geno Atkins signed after a very similar season at a very similar age.

Free Agents
    Karlos Dansby (2 years, 4.25 million) -- Stop gap solution at ILB for us as Zaiver Gooden sits a year or two too bulk up and study under our new LB coach.
    Paul Soliai (2 years, 11.65 million) -- Paul Soliai gives us a NT that we can plug in the middle of our defense; Paul Soliai has experience in both the 3-4 and 4-3 defenses so he makes since to pick up as a transition guy in our hybrid defense.
    Brain Orakpo (5 years, 40.5 million) -- Orakpo gives us the impact pass rusher we desperately need. IMO this is our biggest need so signing a impact FA leaves us free to go BPA in the draft.
    Jacoby Jones (2 years, 6.1 million) -- Jones gives us depth at WR, someone to compete with Justin Hunter, and a reliable return man. All of those things rank as major needs of the Tennessee Titans.

2014 NFL Draft
    Round 1: Greg Robinson, OT, Aubrun -- Robinson can start at RT to replace Stewert and has the athleticism to play LT if we decide to move on from Roos. Robinson is an unsexy pick but he is the BPA at a position of need for us.
    Round 2: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida -- I don't think we resign Verner so we need to bring in another CB to compete with Sensabaugh and Wreh Wilson at CB. Purifoy is the can of athleticism and physical CB that Seattle has used to dominate the NFL and also possible has the most upside of any DB in this draft class.
    Round 3: * Traded to 49ers *
    Round 4: Marcus Smith, DE, Louisville -- Marcus Smith gives us depth at OLB and can play both DE and OLB in our new hybrid scheme.
    Round 5: James White, HB, Wisconsin -- As much hype as Melvin Gordan recieved James White was just as good and was actually a better receiver then Gordan was. White can be part of our HB by committee this season with Shonn Greene until we can land a feature back next season (possibly Melvin Gordan).
    Round 6: Andrew Jackson, LB, Western Kentucky -- Jackson is a bruising defender that gives us more depth at ILB. Jackson plays mean and runs downhill very well which is perfect for a TED linbacker.
    Round 7: Zach Fulton, OG, Tennessee -- Fulton was a decent pass blocker and powerful run blocker for Tennessee this season and should help shore up our need for depth at the position.

Depth Chart
    QB: Locker/Fitzpatrick/Wilson
    HB: Greene/White/Battle
    FB: Mooney
    WR: Wright/Washington/Hunter/Jones/Preston
    TE: Walker/Stevens/Thompson
    OT: Roos/Robinson/Otto/Stingley
    OG: LeVitre/Warmack/Fulton
    OC: Schwenkie/Spencer

DE: Casey/Pitoitua/Martin/Klug
    NT: Soliai/Hill/UFA
    OLB: Orakpo/Brown/Morgan/Smith/Edwards
    ILB: Dansby/Ayers/Gooden/Jackson
    CB: McCourty/Purifoy/Sensabugh/Wreh-Wilson/(Campbell/Wooten)
    FS: Griffin/Wilson
    SS: Pollard/Stafford/UFA

K: Bironas
    P: Kern
    LS: Brinkley

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

One offseason move I wouldnt mind seeing is the Titans cutting CJ and making a play for Denver's Knowshon Moreno who Elway hinted earlier will hit the open-market.

Another move that Id like to see is a play for Oaklands offensive- tackle Jered Veldheer - as we will have needs at O-tackle very soon. Its rumored Veldheer will be overpaid and wants his money even with injury issues last year so will see if Oakland who has a NFL record sum of money to freely spend in the offseason makes a low-ball offer and Veldheer may walk.

3. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Trade into the 4th for one of those 3 qbs... No please.

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd be more than happy signing Orakpo. I'll miss Verner, but i've always been a believer that if you have an elite pass rush any scrub can cover. I also believe that Coty Sensabagh can be a star. Would prefer Donald Butler over Dansby, just because he's younger. Don't know off the top of my head, but was Dansby there w/ Whiz or Horton? If we are going for OT in the first, i'd prefer a trade back and try to pickup a 2nd or 3rd. Imagine your draft, minus Greg Robinson & replace with Kouandjio or Zack Martin. Then also add in any RB of your choice.

No reason to resign Casey this offseason. His $$ is coming though.

5. 615nick

615nick Starter

I've lost almost all hope in locker and fitz. I just don't see any other way we could get one of the top guys. I'm high on manziel, I know a lot here aren't but oh well. Although I would love to see locker be our guy.

6. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

you do realize that if we did draft purifoy that he would a better return possibility than jones and save money because we have preston on the depth chart still too, i would rather just sign orakpo in free agency and possibly see what it would take to get byrd or ward with pollard

7. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

moreno isnt that good, this was his best year and thats because everyone feared payton, he isnt that good or they would resign him but they have 3 other backs they drafted for a reason on their depth chart, and if veldheer will be overpaid, why do you think we will be interested after we just signed levitre to a big contract last year....

8. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

i believe he meant sign casey before he demands even more money if he plays even better this year, and i agree on orakpo, it will fill a huge need but at what cost? i believe dansby was with whiz while he was in tennessee, thats why i think we will give him a look once free agency opens.

do you think if mack falls and we sign orakpo we will still consider drafting him?

9. 615nick

615nick Starter

If we get orakpo, I don't see a reason why we would draft mack or barr. We would be ok especially if we sign dansby too. Idt we'd draft a lb at all at that point and I'd rather have these two guys than just about any fa available or draft pick.

We'd have:
    rolb- orakpo
    mlb- dansby, then mcarthy, fokou, brown, ayers or gooden
    lob- brown, ayers

That's a pretty nice looking lb group

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar