Re-sign CD or let him walk

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by HurrayTitans!, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I feel fairly confident that Hump will be gone and we will bring Corey back at around $10 mil a year. He’s been a great team player and is developing great chemistry within this offense. He seems to genuinely enjoy playing here as well.
    Some think he will get way overpaid elsewhere, but I just don’t see that big a market for him. With so few teams having cap space and names like Juju, Godwin, Golladay, Hilton, Robinson and Fuller on the market and another deep WR class coming out in the draft, I can’t see him getting big bucks elsewhere.

2. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

Humphries is 5 mill cap hit if we cut him this year so we save 2mill I think. They won’t do it. Whoever you sign for 2 mill gets you at break even. They will just keep Humphries for one more year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

Next year we have around seven mill in cap space. You gotta figure out how to replace Jonnu, Brown, and Davis’s spot among a lot of others. We have about 30 free agents. There are also very few guys you can cut to save a lot of space. You might get some restructuring. Even if we could get to 40 mill in cap space—and that is a huge if, I just don’t see up putting 10 mill into Davis.

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I haven't head anyone specifically talk about CD, but some of the ex-GM's on on XM88 have said that they expect some of those guys mentioned to have to take like a 1 year, $6m deal, then hope they have a big season and the market recovers.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

I do think this will happen a lot. Tons of players will be cut because very few teams have cap space. So you will see a lot of small one year deals I think. But we have 30 free agents and about 7 mill in cap space. Gonna be very hard to sign Davis at any reasonable number.

6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Not sure who edited this, but I didn't think this needed to be it's own thread. Who ever it was that actually started this thread can have the credit.

7. JVC34

JVC34 Special Teams Standout

Wasn't Clowney and Beasley one year deals? I'm thinking we have 40 million in cap space next year.
    I can't see the cap going down....that would put huge stress for many teams in the NFL, and don't believe that the NFL owners would choose salary cap reduction for means of recovery.
    If the salary cap stayed the same for 3 years, and small incremental increases over another 2 years....wouldn't the market correct itself? Can't see salary cap reduction for means of correction....the NFL is all about growth, and not about staying stagnant for years.

8. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I think league wide we’re gonna see an unprecedented amount of contract restructuring to free up cap space this year. I could see Lewan, Byard and others all restructuring to free up temporary space. Gonna be salary cap Tetris this year.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ive seen numbers from $3M-$9M as what our projected cap space will be in 2021.

Dont forget we paid out big deals to Henry and Tanny, both those guys see bumps in pay next year...

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

As fans, I think we kind of assume that the teams and owners have infinite money. There are probably some teams that have lost significant amounts of money as a result of covid. The Rockets owner said that he lost a billion dollars in the first 6 months of 2020. We may never hear about it, but I'm betting that some owners are moving around assets just to pay people. That is one of the reasons that Clowney signed so late. Nobody wanted to give him several million in guaranteed money when we weren't certain that we'd have a season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar